Password Policies: Why You Need Them For Your Company
Are you taking every necessary precaution to protect your network? You might have a reasonable cybersecurity solution in place, but it could all be for nothing if every area you need to defend isn’t protected. A strong, concrete password policy is a must for any company that takes their security seriously. As a premier managed service provider (MSP), SBT specializes in helping businesses keep their information safe and out of harm’s way. With custom-tailored password consultation services, we can help your team upgrade your password policy and stay out of harm’s way. Benefits of an upgraded, custom-tailored password policy include:
- Improved cybersecurity, and increased protection from external threats include hackers, viruses, and more.
- Increased accountability between users and their MSP, allowing for simple collaboration and minimizing the chance of suffering from downtime.
- Avoidance of ongoing maintenance costs caused from a security breach.
- Seamless workflow across your entire network for every user account, whether they’re working onsite or using a mobile device.
- Strong passwords lead to a safe network, so that you can enjoy maximum uptime and continue with your core business processes.
What You Need To Incorporate Into Your Password Policy
You might be satisfied with how easy it is to remember a password called “password,” but that doesn’t make it anywhere near strong enough to keep your network safe. There are a few key areas that you need to emphasize for your staff when developing your own unique policy, including:
- Emphasize longer, more complicated passwords: As we mentioned above, it’s nice to be able to conveniently remember your password without having to think too hard about it. It’s also preferred to be able to use a computer without worrying about your network being hacked, so increasing the character limit and creating a minimum threshold for strength is crucial.
- Two-factor authentication is critical: Hacker’s got a hold of your username and password? It might not be as big of a hassle for your company, so long as you have two-factor authentication in place. This means that your team has to answer another security question before they can fully login, and as a result means that the entry point to your network is that much more secure.
- Automated lockouts help keep your team safe: We all know how frustrating it is when we can’t remember our password, and after a certain amount of tries the server locks us out. As annoying as it may seem, it’s a great tool for keeping hackers at arm’s length. They won’t be able to keep on trying ad nauseum, which is good for keeping your network safe.
Charlotte IT Services You Can Count On
A sound, reliable cybersecurity system is an absolute must for any business. At SBT, we tailor our services to meet your needs, so that you can continue to focus on your core processes while still enjoying the freedom of a safe and secure network. Make sure you’re using the best security solution available, and choose SBT today.